Monday, March 15, 2010

Crystal Outshines the Other Ladies in AI Competition

Okay, catching up on my "American Idol" thoughts.   This is for the March 9, women's competition:
Siobahn Magnus did an interesting version of the old Animals' chestnut "The House of the Rising Sun." She should be among the final 16.

Up 'til now, I haven't really dug Lacey Brown, but I thought her take on Belinda Carlisle's "I Was Made for You," was well-suited to her light voice, but interesting phrasing.  Still not sold on her as a singer.

Katelyn Epperly did herself a great disservice by singing the old Carole King song "I Feel the Earth Move."   Song is too old.  Katelyn probably blew her chances to stay in the competition.  It's a shame.  Nice voice, but really bad choice of song.  And this girl needs to spend a summer in L.A. or NYC learning how to be hip, if that's teachable or learnable.

Didi Benami:  OK, this is the best performance of the evening, so far.  Nice reading of the Fleetwood Mac tune.  This is the first performance of Didi that I've liked.  Should get her into the next level.

Paige Miles.  Talk about a crappy song selection.  Her version of Charlie Chaplin's "Smile," was a diasaster.  Paige has a strong voice, but no artistic direction....and apparently no common sense in picking material. This bomb may get her dropped.

Lily Scott.  Okay, so I saw this girl posing at Guitar Center and it really turned me off.  But not as bad as her horrific butchering of Patsy's classic.  Lily has yet to hit a note on pitch.  She slides every freaking note she sings.  She has absolutely no talent for singing Country, and apparently no respect for the original artist.  I hope she gets dumped before the next round.

Crystal Bowersox:  Okay, this girl is the REAL DEAL!  I've loved everything she's done to date, including the Alanis tune that Simon dissed.  Crystal killed "Turn My Back Around" and made me forget how good the original version was.  Crystal is MY FAVORITE LADY in the AI competition.

And that's our view from "The A&R Room."  We welcome your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment